Learn to move, beat, and shout like a Sumo Samurai Drummer!
Starting from basics, we will teach you the fundamental rhythmic patterns from which Taiko is evolved. We will look at all aspects of Wadaiko which distinguish it from other percussion as a unique traditional cultural art form, and a dynamic contemporary performing art. Please contact us to let us know you are interested in coming.
|Tuesdays||6:30pm||Advanced and Intermediate training|
|Thursdays||6:30pm||Performers and Basics training|
Your training will involve:
Stretching & Flexibility………………Relaxation & Breathing
Energy release & Improvisation……Movement & Form
Endurance & Control…………………Coordination & Balance
Rhythm & Music………………………Focus & Awareness
Taiko is relatively simple; no musical experience is necessary. Anyone can pick up some sticks and have a go, and it’s such great fun. Not surprisingly beating the living hell out of a drum with huge sticks is terrifically satisfying, and great stress relief. But more than that, most people find it really rewarding to work in a team, overcome obstacles and celebrate achievements together. The training is very suitable for children (from upper primary level) through to adults, and we will try hard to accommodate any special requirements you might have.
Taiko is a highly physical endeavour. Be prepared to get active and sweat a fair bit. Wear suitable loose and comfortable clothing and bring a drink bottle. Please note that some activities should only be undertaken by those of sound health and fitness. Every activity is optional, and it is up to each individual to decide whether they are up to it or not. The Tasmania University Union takes no responsibility for injuries sustained during Taiko drumming training and workshops.
INTRODUCTORY TAIKO BASICS
- Thursday evenings from 6.30 pm
- Monday daytime classes on demand, please email for details
- Private lessons on request
- Questions? email us
How does training work for new comers?
- Classes are graded to allow more experienced members to challenge themselves
- Basics classes are recommended for everyone, regardless of how long members have been training
- Basics classes aim to teach the range of styles of Taiko
- Each Taiko style has its own particular rhythms and patterns
- Beginners are encouraged to challenge themselves to their own comfort level
How does payment work for new comers?
- Members contribute to the Society by yearly membership of $10 + monthly training fees
Fees will cover up to 2 classes a week plus some occasional weekend workshops.
- We try to make Taiko as affordable as possible for everyone, please contact us if payment is a problem.
MONTHLY: Adults – $50, Conc – $35, Students – $30
10 LESSON CARD: Adults – $120, Conc – $70, Student – $50
5 LESSON CARD: Adults – $70, Conc – $40, Students – $35
PER LESSON FEE: Adults $15, Conc – $9, Students – $8
Come along and have a go! There’s nothing wrong with making a few mistakes. Persistence is greatly rewarded. Challenge yourself, and come along to a more advanced training session for the experience and inspiration=0)